Click to Home
Go To Search
Click to Home
Email pagePrint page
Marriage Licenses
Obtaining a Marriage License
If the wedding is going to be performed in Oklahoma, the couple can obtain their marriage license from the Pawnee County Court Clerk at 500 Harrison St in Pawnee, Oklahoma.

In order to get married, you need to apply and receive a marriage license. This is the document in your state that allows you to officially tie the knot under the law. The rules for acquiring your marriage license varies from state to state, so you should check with your county's marriage bureau at your clerk of court's office to find out what your local rules are.

You'll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony. You'll traditionally need to send in your birth certificates, tax information, and other official documents. You don't, however, want to apply for your marriage license too early. In some states, the licenses do expire, if you don't get married within a few months.

When you apply for your license, you'll not only need a proof of identification and age, but you'll need to apply for the certificate together, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a nominal fee. You will also need to have a witness when you sign the application, so plan on bringing your maid of honor or best man with you. The bride will need to know what her married name will be before she signs the marriage certificate. You'll have to write that name on the application.

And, believe it or not, just because you have your marriage license sent to you in the mail does not mean you are officially married. You need to have a justice of the peace or a religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your chaplain your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper government agency for validation.

ID Requirement: Drivers License or certified birth certificate or passport and his or her Social Security number.

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Oklahoma.

If previously married: Bring certified copy of divorce decree
or a copy of deceased spouse's death certificate.

Application Requirement: Both parties to a marriage should appear in person to obtain the license.

Fees: $50 - cash or money order only. Couples who take a premarital counseling course "conducted by a health professional or an official representative of a religious institution" will be charged only $5 for a marriage license.

Waiting Period: No waiting period.

Blood Tests: No.

Under 18: Parents must appear at the courthouse with the couple to sign a consent form. Minors must wait three days before the marriage license is valid.

Proxy Marriages: No. Both parties must be present.

Common Law Marriage: No.

Cousin Marriage: No.

Officiants: Ordained ministers of the gospel of any denomination who are at least 18 years of age may perform marriages. Ministers must file a copy of their credentials with the county clerk before performing marriages. Ministers must complete a certificate of marriage and return it to the clerk or judge who issued the marriage license.

Valid: License is valid for 10 days.
The license can only be used within the State of Oklahoma.

It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

For more information, please contact the Clerk's Office at (918) 762-2547

What Do I Do with the License?
Bring the original license to the officiate of the wedding. To register the marriage, the officiate must sign the license in black ink and return it directly to the County Clerk that issued the license.

After the license is filed, you can request to receive a copy of your marriage license.

City of Cleveland • 105 W. Caddo St. • Cleveland, OK 74020 • Ph: 918-358-3506 • Fx: 918-358-3600 •
Home Home  |  Email Page Email Page  | Print Page Print  |  Calendar  |  FAQs  |  Contact Us  |  Accessibility  |  Site Map |  Renewable Energy Windpowered | Powered by CivicPlus  | Copyright Notices