Process Of Code Enforcement

How a Case Begins

Code Enforcement cases can begin in a number of different ways; most commonly a complaint is called into the Department by a citizen. Complaints may remain anonymous or they may leave a name and number so they can be contacted in the future. To call in a complaint, please call (918) 358-3112.

General Outline of Case Progression

Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables.

  • A complaint is received by the department (File a Complaint)
  • An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property
  • The property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s)
  • A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected
  • If compliance cannot be achieved through normal channels, the case is forwarded to the Municipal Court
  • If the above procedures do not remedy the violation, then the case will go forward with the abatement process
  • In cases where it is deemed impractical summarily to abate a nuisance, the City may bring suit in the Pawnee County District Court as provided in Section 17 of Title 50 of the Oklahoma Statutes